Jen and Joe

Jen and Joe

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Top 5 Rochester Restaurants: Jen

As mentioned yesterday, here are my Top 5 restaurants plus honorable mentions. Coming soon: two reviews and a feature on restaurant nightmare experiences! 

Top 5 Rochester Restaurants – Jen

5. Mamasan’s (Thai/Vietnamese – Brighton/Pittsford)
I’m so happy my friend Lex suggested this place to me and Joe once (actually, we went there with her and her husband, Ben, for our first time). They have amazing Thai food, with plenty of vegetarian and gluten-free options, which made me and Lex happy, respectively. They also have pink chopsticks! Pink! I was elated when I saw this since it’s my favorite color and I’m easily amused. I have the Pad Thai when I go because that’s one of my favorite dishes anywhere it’s offered. The service is good and the atmosphere is modern and laid back, making this one of Joe’s and my favorite spots.

4. Bazil (Italian – Penfield)
At one time, this place would have been numero uno, but with the closing of their Henrietta location (to open a seafood restaurant—huh?), they’ve been bumped down to number four. The other thing that keeps them from taking the number one spot is their use of chicken stock in their red sauces, which keeps me from enjoying the vodka sauce. If you’re vegetarian, be sure to mention this when you go there! From what I’ve heard, they’re just like their older affiliate restaurant, Mario’s, only less dressy and a few bucks cheaper. Their pastas, despite any issues with the sauce, are amazing; I tend to order the alfredo or the pomodoro when I go. They offer a Pasta Per Te (Create-Your-Own Pasta) that allows for plenty of options for even the most finicky eater. Even going in once on a late night, Joe and I still received excellent service (although I wouldn’t recommend doing this since you’ll want time to really savor your meal). Their Penfield location, the only one left, is near Lake Ontario, so here you get the benefit of a nice view in addition to their savory dishes.

3. Aladdin’s Natural Eatery (Mediterranean – Pittsford; Monroe Ave.)
I prefer the Pittsford location, simply because you get to sit near the canal, but if you get stuck inside, it tends to be a bit cramped. Joe and I also have the bad luck of going on rainy days, and although the balcony has a canopy to protect you from the rain, it just isn’t the same. The Monroe Ave. location in the city is a bit larger, and they also have a balcony where you can look out onto the street. Both locations serve the same excellent Mediterranean-inspired foods. One of my favorite things to get there is actually a starter—a sample of their staples such as hummus, baba ganoush, and dolmades. With plenty of vegetarian options, Aladdin’s has rightfully earned its place in my Top 5.

2. Hogan’s Hideaway (American – Park Ave.)
Hogan’s is over on Park Ave. right next to Parkleigh (one of my favorite stores in that area), so a trip to one place usually, but not always, guarantees a trip to the other. They serve standard American fare (sandwiches, burgers, salads) but they also offer some unique dishes and specials (veggie burritos and stir fries, for instance, and pastas as well). I think I’ve tried a little bit of everything when I’ve gone there, simply because they have so many great options for vegetarians. The food is always fresh, and they even have their own beers provided by Custom Brew Crafters from Honeyoye Falls (another great reason to love this area of upstate New York). The interior is a little bit kitschy without being too weird, and they also feature some work from local artists and photographers at each table that’s next to a wall. Their portions won’t leave you feeling hungry when you leave either, which is a definite plus.

1. Thali of India (Indian – Brighton-Henrietta)
Yum! Thali (meaning “plate” in Hindi) is my favorite Indian restaurant in the area, and it rightfully earns the top spot on my list! In fact, Joe just took me there for my birthday this past week. Again, they have a wide selection of vegetarian options, as many Indian restaurants do, and they’re even accommodating enough to prepare things vegan if you request it as such. If you’re not like me and you dislike spicy food, they will prepare things mild for you (our servers have never failed to ask us how spicy we would like our meals). Their paneers are my favorite dishes, especially the ones that come with tomato curry sauces such as Mattar Paneer and Paneer Akbari. Joe and I are pretty sure they sweeten their sauces with maple syrup, which may sound strange to some, but it offers a tanginess that compliments the spices well. I don’t think I have ever been disappointed with a meal from Thali, and on the rare occasion that I’ve had to wait a while for the food, it’s been 100% worth it!

Honorable Mention

American:
Fox’s (Brighton)
Jine’s (Park Ave.)
Rohrbach Brewing Company (Gates)

Indian:
India House (S. Clinton Ave.; Victor)

Italian:
Grandpa Sam’s Italian Kitchen (Spencerport)

Mexican:
Los Gallos (Greece)

Thai:
Sak’s Thai (Fairport)

Miscellaneous:
La-Tea-Da (Park Ave.)
Leaf & Bean (Chili)
Simply Crêpes (Pittsford; Canandaigua)

No comments:

Post a Comment