Jen and Joe

Jen and Joe

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Date Day: A City Adventure – 8/13/11

Joe and I went around to several places on Saturday, August 13. Rather than simply doing individual reviews, we've decided to give you a glimpse of a "date day." Here, for your reading pleasure, is a chronicle of our adventures.

Joe and I decided to go to Tap & Mallet for the Southern Tier Total Tap Takeover, a special event featuring all beers from the Southern Tier Brewing Company. We had actually never been to Tap & Mallet, even though we’ve had it recommended to us before. We weren’t sure what to expect this first time there. We stood at the entrance for a bit, feeling awkward while waiting for a hostess, but when there wasn’t one, we decided to sit at the bar. The bartender was excellent, attentive, and friendly despite it being a very busy day for him. We also had the added bonus of sitting near the bar’s bobcat, which I friended on Facebook after overhearing that “Bob Cat” actually had an account. Why? I don’t know. Why not? 

Who knew bobcats were such social creatures?
Joe drank Krampus ’10. Seeing the name Krampus always makes me think of the Venture Bros. Christmas special (I don’t really feel like explaining that one—you’d have to see it). I drank the Wien Vienna Lager, which was good but really just reminded me of a fancy Yuengling. For lunch, Joe ate the burger with mash and gravy, and I ate the vegan chili. Overall, we thought it was a great place, and I have a feeling we’ll definitely be returning!

Surprise?


The vegan chili.

Joe's burger--what, you didn't think it was mine, did you?
Joe and I stopped in Village Gate Square on Goodman St., which is probably one of the most interesting places in Rochester. There are some popular restaurants there (Salena’s, California Rollin’, The Gate House, and Lento) and some cool specialty shops (The Bop Shop for records, Ricky’s Place for vintage clothing, Yankee Peddler for old books, and Outlandish for all of your gay pride and leather daddy needs... if that’s your thing). Village Gate is also home to many art studios as well. We visited Yankee Clipper, a collectibles store into which we rarely venture. Joe bought a football card, which I would rather not have to explain since it’s related to fantasy football. He doesn’t collect football (or any type of) cards, by the way, so this was a new thing for us. We also bought a Dalek figure there; Daleks are the things that look like fancy garbage cans on Doctor Who that fly around shouting “Exterminate!” We are very pleased with our Dalek and plan to include him this Christmas in a nativity scene, a la Mr. Bean.

We didn’t stop in The Bop Shop, and I’m not sure why, but it’s another favorite place of mine. I used to hate getting dragged there as a kid when my dad went record shopping, but when I finally started buying records too, it became one of my favorite places to go. Especially with some of my weird tastes, it’s the perfect place to go if you’re looking for something obscure, musically speaking.

These three are all in the same area. We parked in the lot for Warner Castle and went there first. This “castle” is a beautiful old home in the city open to the public during certain hours. They also have a beautiful garden behind the home. We took some pictures and saw a cat sunbathing (he had a collar, so we guessed he wasn’t a stray). He kind of looked like our cat Charlie, only with white paws.

The front of Warner Castle.

The courtyard in the back.

Kitty!

Near the front of Mt. Hope Cemetery.

One of the prettiest tombs there! Don't blink!

The older section, with the stairway from who knows when.

Next we walked through the edge of Highland Park. During the spring it’s known for its lilacs (hence the annual Lilac Festival). After that we arrived in Mt. Hope Cemetery, famous for being where local abolitionists Susan B. Anthony and Frederick Douglass were buried. We didn’t go too far since we were having dinner soon after, but we walked around near the entrance where the fountain and many of the mausoleums are located. It’s a very pretty area, and although it’s a cemetery, it makes for a beautiful location for a walk or run through its park-like setting. If we hadn’t had any time constraints, we definitely would have stayed longer.

Joe and I just went in here out of curiosity and to kill a few minutes before Lex and Ben arrived at The Owl House down the street for dinner. It reminded me of Lori’s Natural Foods in Henrietta, only smaller. If you live in the city and you’re in dire need of organic eggplant, I guess this is your place.

We had dinner with our friends Lex and Ben, another cutesy couple. We sat at the bar for a few minutes, since we were early and the restaurant didn’t open for dinner until 5:00. The bartender was nice, and Lex ordered a drink called “Agent Cooper.” Sadly, it took me a minute to get the Twin Peaks reference (“The owls are not what they seem...”), but I decided to try that as well. For dinner, Joe and I both had the Viva Verde! Tacos (Joe’s had pork, mine had tofu). I think mine could have had way more tofu in it, but I liked their use of fresh ingredients and the water bottle left on the table so we didn’t have to wait for refills. Lex and I also appreciated the fact that The Owl House accommodates those with vegan/vegetarian and gluten-free diets.

A damn fine drink.

My tofu tacos, with way too much cabbage and a cold black bean and corn salad.

Joe's pork tacos, which look almost exactly like mine... but with pork.



Lex and Ben--Cutesy Couples Unite!


6. Boulder Coffee Company (South Wedge)
A coffee shop with beer? Sounds like Joe’s kind of place. Lex, Ben, Joe, and I decided to go there so we could continue our conversation (and to wait out the heavy downpour during the thunderstorm). I drank a ridiculously huge iced chai, and we brought “Daffyd” the Dalek (the only nice Dalek in the village... anyone?) with us, as we all decided to name him. We also witnessed a Cake cover band called “This is Not Cake.” We could tell. I liked the comfy couches (those are always a plus in coffee houses), and I really liked some of the avant garde art on the walls—all or most of it was definitely local.


Mr. Bill!

Giant mermaid!

Dalek heart chai!

Lex posing as a Price is Right model.
After the storm died down, we went out to Lex and Ben’s place to continue chatting. I think we were going to play a game, but it never really happened and didn’t need to. For anybody who says that there’s nothing to do in Rochester, well, I think we proved you wrong... and this was just the tip of the iceberg.

2 comments:

  1. If I knew I was going to be pegged as a Price is Right model, I would have pulled out my best Hold-That-Smile toothy grin!

    Also - EE! You made a category for double-dates ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a good job showing off Daffyd. It's all in the arms/hands for a Price is Right girl anyway!

    The double date category means that eventually, there will be more than one entry there, we hope! :)

    ReplyDelete